‘Noxious odor’ that hospitalized eight students turned out to be six-grader’s AXE body spray

By  Ashley Collman

PUBLISHED: 08:56 EST, 1  November 2013 |  UPDATED: 08:57 EST, 1 November 2013

Let this be a lesson to young men: Any more  than a spritz of AXE body spray and you’re more likely to actually hospitalize  girls as opposed to attract them.

Medgar Evers College Preparatory School in  Brooklyn, New York was temporarily shut down yesterday after eight students were  hospitalized after being exposed to AXE body spray in a sixth-grade classroom.

In addition to the eight students transported  to the hospital by EMS, two other students were taken to personal doctors by  their parents and one student declined medical attention.

Powerful stuff: Eight sixth-graders at a school in Brooklyn were hospitalized yesterday when a student released AXE body spray in a classroom
Powerful stuff: Eight sixth-graders at a school in  Brooklyn were hospitalized yesterday when a student released AXE body spray in a  classroom

Administrators are investigating the incident  and disciplinary action is pending, according to a statement released by the school.

This isn’t the first time that the male  deodorant has caused problems in schools.

Last March, a Pennsylvania high school banned  the substance after one of their students was hospitalized after being exposed  to AXE.

One student turned out to have a ‘potentially  life threatening’ allergy to the spray and so the administration asked students  to stop wearing it.

In May 2012  a fire alarm was triggered  at a Connecticut high school when an ‘overabundance’ of AXE was sprayed in a  locker room.

Victims: Two other students at Medgar Evers school were taken to the doctor by their parents and another refused medical attention
Victims: Two other students at Medgar Evers school were  taken to the doctor by their parents and another refused medical attention

Apparently misusing the product has become a  real problem. On the company’s website they have a page on ‘responsible use’  which cautions users against huffing the product.

In a video, a guy and girl present a public  service announcement saying it’s cooler to ‘Keep AXE on you, not in  you’.

They also warn against igniting the spray on  fire.

‘Bottom line: AXE smells great when you’re  wearing it, not when you’re lighting it on fire,’ the girl spokesman says.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2483494/Noxious-odor-hospitalized-students-turned-graders-AXE-body-spray.html#ixzz2jPFob1Na Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook