Goldman Sachs janitor ‘was fired by drunk boss and had to wade home through flooded streets during Hurricane Sandy’

By  Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 16:43 EST, 7 June  2013 |  UPDATED: 16:43  EST, 7 June 2013

Scene: Mefit Zecevic, a janitor at the Goldman Sachs building, was forced to walk home after Sandy 

Scene: Mefit Zecevic, a janitor at the Goldman Sachs  building, was forced to walk home after Sandy

A former janitor who helped secure the  Goldman Sachs building in Manhattan ahead of Hurricane Sandy has claimed he was  fired and forced to wade home through water in the aftermath of the deadly  storm.

Mefit Zecevic, 42, said he has been left with  post traumatic stress disorder after a drunk boss wrongly fired him for stealing  from a colleague and made him walk 13 hours to get home to Staten  Island.

He is now suing the maintenance firm, ABM  Industries., Inc, for $10 million, accusing them of wrongfully firing him and  ignoring his pleas to stay in the building or get help heading home.

Mr Zecevic, who worked for the company for 12  years, is now fighting to get his job back as he struggles to get his life back  on track after the petrifying ordeal.

‘They destroyed my life, what they  did to  me,’ he told the New  York Daily News. ‘I worked day and  night. They destroyed my life for  nothing. Nothing.’

On October 28, the day before the storm  barreled through New York City,  Zecevic helped stack sandbags at the building  and move equipment to  higher floors, DNAinfo reported.

He and his colleagues slept in the building  for the next two nights as the roads had been shut and it was too dangerous to  venture outside, he  said.

But according to the  lawsuit, on the morning  of October 30, his boss had become  drunk on alcohol he’d found at a restaurant  in the building and told him to collect a co-worker’s shirt.

Danger: A flooded street is seen on October 29, 2012, in the Financial District of New York 

Danger: A flooded street is seen on October 29, 2012, in  the Financial District of New York. Zecevic said he had to wade through  waist-high water for hours to get home to Staten Island

At 9.40pm, Zecevic  was still working when his boss approached him and told him he had been fired,  without providing a reason. When Zecevic  asked to stay at the building, the boss said he could not.

The lawsuit notes that the boss smelled  strongly of alcohol.

‘I said, “I live in Staten Island,  there’s a  state of emergency, there are no cars, no trains, no lights”,’ he said. ‘I was  begging for my life.  But he said, “Leave the building”.’

 

Zecevic began the walk home, but was picked  up by a police officer who returned him to the office and chided the boss for  his dangerous decision. When he left, the boss sent Zecevic  away again.

He began the walk through the waist-high  waters, fearing he could be injured or killed by downed electrical lines,  building work or disease from the sewage.

‘It was dark and cold,’ he told the Daily  News. ‘I could see the red emergency lights on the bridge. There was nobody  around. I was scared.’

Fears: He said he continues to suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and nightmares that he will drown 

Fears: He said he continues to suffer from post  traumatic stress disorder and nightmares that he will drown

After eventually crossing the Brooklyn  Bridge, he headed south to the Verrazano  Bridge, where a police car escorted him across. He walked the four  miles to his  home, shivering and in pain.

Following the ordeal, he has suffered with  PTSD and considered suicide, according to the lawsuit.

Zecevic later learned that he had been fired  for stealing $100 from his colleague’s shirt. He denied this and the Department of Labor ruled that Zecevic did not  commit any misconduct.

‘I have been practicing law for over 25  years, and thought I had seen it all in terms of mistreatment from  employers,’  Zecevic’s lawyer, William Perniciaro, wrote to  ABM. ‘However, your company has  the dubious distinction of the worst  abuse of human dignity that I have ever  witnessed.’

ABM did not respond to a request for  comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337677/Goldman-Sachs-cleaner-fired-drunk-boss-wade-home-flooded-streets-Hurricane-Sandy.html#ixzz2VapLe700 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Russia will send humanitarian aid to New York

Nov 11, 2012 21:58 Moscow Time

Самолет Ил-76 МЧС гуманитарный груз россия гуманитарная помощь турция аэропорт Эрзурум

Photo: RIA Novosti

On Monday, the 12th of November, the Russian Emergency Ministry is planning to send two planes with humanitarian aid to New York which was hit by Hurricane Sandy.

Two Iliushin-76 planes will deliver over 50 tons of humanitarian aid.

The planes are due to take off from the Ramenskoye airfield south-east of Moscow.

 

In New York, 98% of electric power has been restored to homes stripped of power supply by hurricane “Sandy”. This was reported by the energy company servicing the megalopolis.

At the moment, 20 thousand people are still without electricity.

After the hurricane more than a million people in the city had no electricity.

In New Jersey, where the elements left 2.7 million customers without electricity, efforts are still underway to restore power. Currently, 100 thousand are still without power supply.

 

About 900 New Yorkers whose homes were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy will be provided with temporary housing on the premises of a closed jail, The New York Times reports.

The Arthur Kill Correctional Facility in Staten Island was shut down in 201.

Meanwhile, about 40,000 residents of New York City have nowhere to live.

The tropical hurricane Sandy struck the US eastern coast at the end of October killing more than 100 people and inflicting billions of dollars in damages.

Voice of Russia, RIA, “Russia 24”, Vesti

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_11_11/Russia-will-send-humanitarian-aid-to-New-York/

 

FEMA centers in New York closed due to… bad weather

Published: 09 November, 2012, 21:19

Instead of staying open to help displaced victims of the hurricane during the nor’easter that blanketed New York City in snow, the Federal Emergency Management Agency was “closed due to weather” as the storm approached.

FEMA, headed by Craig Fugate, exists to “prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards,” the agency states. Its team is employed to fly into disaster areas to provide relief to victims of both of manmade or natural disasters – like storms.

But this week FEMA seemingly added a special condition to its services: The agency will only help as long as it’s not raining, snowy or too windy. As the nor’easter brought snowflakes to an area where thousands are still without electricity or homes in freezing temperatures, FEMA shut down its operations “due to bad weather.”

“We were abandoned yesterday,” Staten Island resident MaryAnne Alessio told Neil Cavuto.

After being questioned on the reasons behind the closed doors, Fugate told reporters that services needed to be postponed during the storm and would resume when the weather improves. FEMA’s response angered some New Yorkers who relied on the relief service after the storm had demolished their homes.

“Really? You’re telling Staten Island people that sorry, we’re closed due to the weather?” said Alessio. “These are people walking the streets that don’t have no homes, no electricity, no life, no place to go. They’re put out of their houses. And then they go to the FEMA center and they’re closed due to the weather. I think it’s a disgrace.”

FEMA buses vanished on Wednesday, taking away some New Yorkers’ only source of warmth and electricity. Trucks were removed from Staten Island and tents were taken down throughout the city.

And while the emergency management agency could not cope with the weather, the Red Cross stepped in and opened warming centers to help displaced hurricane victims survive the snowy weather.

But the Red Cross did not have the resources to provide many shelters. With only one shelter, located on Staten Island, FEMA’s help was much-needed.

“It’s just annoying when many people here need help, and they just didn’t do what they’re supposed to do,” a Queens resident told DNAinfo.com. “It’s emergency, and they should be open by now.”

To make up for the loss in aid that FEMA should have been providing, volunteers across New York tried to provide crucial resources to hurricane victims – including water bottles, food, electricity and places to warm up.

“FEMA packed up and left. We don’t know where they are, so there’s nothing here but us,” said volunteer Louis Giraldi.

The agency reopened its mobile sites after the second storm passed.

 

http://rt.com/usa/news/fema-new-closed-weather-359/

Priorities: Generators brought to power US Media, not NY residents

 

 

Friday, 02 November 2012

 

As hundreds of thousands of Big Apple residents suffer in homes left without power by Hurricane Sandy, two massive generators are being run 24/7 in Central Park — to juice a media tent for Sunday’s New York City Marathon.

 

And a third “backup” unit sits idle, in case one of the generators fails.

 

The three diesel-powered generators crank out 800 kilowatts — enough to power 400 homes in ravaged areas like Staten Island, the Rockaways and downtown Manhattan.

 

As of Friday morning, five generators sat outside of the park along with electrical stations and transformers.

 

In addition to the generators, a food services truck dropped off hundreds of cases of water, sparking angered responses from hurricane victims.

 

“I am from Coney Island where everything is flooded and underwater,” Yelena Gomelsky, 65, said. “I live 1 block from the ocean where everything is floating. “[Seeing the generators and water] makes me feel so bad. People have no food, no water, nothing.

 

“They should make all of these runners bring food and water to people’s houses who need it. They should bring all of these generators to buildings where old people live and give them power.”

 

Since emergency executive orders have been issued, the governor, mayor — or even President Obama — could take the generators for a more important use, explained Pace University law professor Bennett Gershman.

 

Such an emergency action would need the approval of the City Council, state Legislature or Congress. And they would have to compensate the owners of the devices.

 

But plenty in the city wish they had taken such decisive action. After all, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie postponed Halloween for safety reasons, so Gov. Cuomo or Mayor Bloomberg should issue an executive order for lifesaving generators.

 

Manhattah Borough Preisdent Scott Stringer voiced his opinion on Friday, saying that the city needs to recognize the suffering following “a tragedy of historic proportions.”

 

“New Yorkers in Staten Island, the Rockaways, Coney Island and Lower Manhattan are struggling to keep body and soul together, deprived of basic essentials as temperatures drop,” Stringer said.

 

“For this reason, and after significant deliberation, I believe we should postpone and re-schedule the New York City Marathon in order to focus all of the City’s resources on the crucial task of helping our neighbors recover from this disaster. New Yorkers deserve nothing less than to know that the entire government is focused solely on returning the City and their region back to normalcy.”

 

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22131/61/

Medical Examiner keeps thousands of brains for ‘tests’ families call needless

  • By SUSAN EDELMAN
  • Last Updated:  12:56 PM, October 28, 2012
  • Posted: 10:30 PM, October 27, 2012

EXCLUSIVE

It’s the great brain robbery.

The city Medical Examiner’s Office has kept the brains of more than 9,200 deceased New Yorkers — from the elderly to newborns — in the past eight years, records obtained by The Post show.

The stunning revelation comes as three families publicly question whether the city is yanking brains so rookie pathologists can “practice,” for scientists’ experiments, or for no good reason at all.

“Vasean’s organs were removed for ‘testing’ without any investigative or medical necessity,” charges a suit by the family of Vasean Alleyne, an 11-year-old Queens boy killed by a drunken driver. Months after his burial, his mom was shocked to read in the autopsy report that her son’s brain and spinal cord had been taken.

Brooklyn mom Cindy Bradshaw was stunned to learn she had buried her stillborn son, Gianni, without his brain. The ME kept it — though an autopsy found his death was caused by an abnormality in her umbilical cord and placenta.

“Do they really want to know what happened to the person, or are they just experimenting?” Bradshaw asked.

“The death had nothing to do with the brain,” said her lawyer, Daniel Flanzig. “It’s unconscionable — and unlawful — for the Medical Examiner not to return it to the family for a complete burial.”

Others suspect organs are used as a training tool.

“I think they collect brains to allow a new neuropathologist to practice on various body parts,” said Anthony Galante, a lawyer for the family of Jesse Shipley, 17, who was killed in a car crash in 2005. Friends gawked at his brain in a labeled jar on a class trip to the Staten Island morgue — two months after his funeral.

“When it comes to investigating deaths, the law gives the Medical Examiner’s Office broad authority, including the retention of tissue at autopsy for further testing,” said a city Law Department spokeswoman, declining further comment. The ME also declined to comment.

In November 2010, a judge ruled the city must notify families of seized organs. The ME began giving kin a form with three options: wait to claim the body pending “further testing” of organs; collect the organs later; or just let the city dispose of the organs.

The disposal method is not mentioned. But an internal ME document spells it out: “Medical waste is incinerated. Please do not tell NOK (next-of-kin) that unclaimed organs are ‘cremated. . .’ ”

Under The Post’s Freedom of Information Law request, the ME gave a list of 9,200 brains and 45 spinal cords removed between Nov. 1, 2004, and July 1, 2012. Some 7,700 brains were taken before the notifications began.

The ages of the decedents range from 99 to fetuses.

Brains harden in formaldehyde several weeks before they can be “cut” by scientists.

In Staten Island, ME staff delayed tests for “months” until a half-dozen brains were ready — to make a pathologist’s trip from Manhattan “worth his while,” according to testimony in the Shipley case.

But Jesse’s death was no mystery: “He was killed in an auto accident. His skull had multiple fractures,” lawyer Galante said.

Two days after Bradshaw’s son was stillborn, April 28, an ME pathologist told her, “The autopsy was complete and I could pick him up any time,” she said. The cause of death was a pregnancy complication, the autopsy confirmed. “He was a healthy baby.”

But the ME called back hours after the May 4 funeral.

“I forgot to tell you, the brain is still here,” the pathologist said.

The only explanation given Bradshaw, she said: “It’s routine.”

susan.edelman@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/city_sitting_on_brains_cTMsOuGmPkRRDxBQm0IvNJ